Disability Documentation Forms

As a student, you are not required to notify the University of your disability either prior to or subsequent to your admission; however, if you plan to request accommodations, you must register with the Office of Disability Services and provide current, relevant documentation of your disability. Submitting the appropriate documentation will assist us in determining eligibility for services.

Disability Documentation

Students requesting accommodations must support their requests by providing comprehensive medical, physical or psychological documentation. Complete the Disability Documentation Form, linked below, with your treating health care provider(s). Completed documentation should also include the student's UNC Charlotte student ID number on the documentation form. Not including your UNC Charlotte student ID number on your documentation can delay the review process

Disability Documentation Form (PDF)​

Students with Learning Disabilities

Individuals with learning disabilities must provide a copy of the psycho-educational testing report supporting the diagnosis.  The report should include the results of the diagnostic tests, the tools used to make the determination, and the recommended accommodations. If you are requesting accommodations for only a learning disability diagnosis and no other disability, you will not need to complete the Disability Documentation Form with your treating health care provider. Be sure to include your UNC Charlotte student ID number on the submitted documentation. Not including your UNC Charlotte student ID number on your documentation can delay the review process

Can I Use My High School IEP or 504 Plan to Verify My Disability?

Disability Services does not accept IEPs or 504 Plans as verification for a disability. These educational plans may be helpful to you when discussing your accommodations, and you are welcomed to bring them as supplimental information for your initial registration appointment if you find them helpful.

Housing and Meal Plan Addendum

Students who have a disability that impacts housing or dietary needs should complete the additional addendum.  This information should be thorough and submitted once a decision is made to apply to campus housing.  Housing decisions related to disability cannot be made without proper documentation provided to the Office of Disability Services.   Due to limited housing options, students are strongly encouraged to provide documentation to Disability Services as soon as a decision to attend UNC Charlotte is made.

Housing and Meal Plan Addendum (PDF)

This form is to be used to address disabilities that result in functional limitations specific to a university residential environment, such as specific accommodations needed in the student's housing unit or accommodations related to severe food allergies. The form must be submitted in conjunction with the completed Disability Documentation Form in order to document the disability.

Personal Attendant

Some students require a personal attendant for activities of daily living and to manage their disability while on campus. Contact Disability Services early if you plan to use a personal care attendant while on campus. The student has the sole responsibility of obtaining and employing a personal care attendant. It is important that the use of a personal care attendant be included on the documentation form submitted to Disability Services. If you plan to live on campus and your personal care attendant needs access to your residence hall, you will also need to inform Housing and Residence Life because of the requirements to allow the attendant access to a residence hall. Proper planning and early contact with both Disability Services and Residence Life is essential to making the transition to living on campus personal care attendant.

To ensure that your personal attendant has access to your student housing, please review the following guidelines:Personal Attendant Access to Housing (PDF)

Submitting Completed Documentation

Completed disability documentation from the diagnostician or treating professional can be faxed to the Disability Services office at 704‑687‑1395, delivered to Fretwell 230, or mailed to:

UNC Charlotte
Office of Disability Services
9201 University City Boulevard
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001

Students are strongly encouraged to make copies of any documentation that is submitted to our office for their own records.

Next Steps

Once documentation is received, a counselor will review the information and students will receive an email in regards to eligibility. This eligibility email will be sent to the student's UNC Charlotte email address.

Please contact our office at 704-687-0040 with any additional questions.