How to Register with Disability Services

UNC Charlotte students who wish to receive accommodations for a disability should submit documentation from their current health care provider using the Disability Documentation FormMost disabilities will require you to submit our 2-page documentation form, completed by your treating provider. Some disabilities may require additional information. Documentation for learning disabilities will require that you submit your most recent full-scale psycho-educational evalution for our review.

Be sure to include your UNC Charlotte student ID number on the documentation form or at the top of your psycho-educational evaluation. Not including your UNC Charlotte student ID number on your documentation can delay the review process

Once the information is received in the Office of Disability Services, a DS counselor reviews the documentation and determines eligibility. A determination letter is sent to the student via his or her UNC Charlotte email, which outlines the student's eligibility status and the next steps in the process.

If eligible for accommodations, the student should schedule a registration appointment with a DS counselor. During the registration appointment, the DS counselor addresses the functional impact of their disability, the student’s rights and responsibilities, and the University grievance process.  The student and DS counselor identify reasonable and appropriate accommodations to mediate the impact of the disability, and this remains a collaborative process throughout the student's time at UNC Charlotte. The counselor introduces the student to the DS Portal and gives the student access to use the Portal. Registration with our office is not complete until the student meets with a DS counselor. For more information about accommodations, visit the Accommodations page.

In the event that a student’s documentation does not meet the guidelines for documenting a disability, the determination letter will detail this decision.

Student Responsibilities - Returning Registered Students

Students are often surprised to learn the difference in the level of student responsibility between high school and college. These Helpful Hints can keep you on track:

DS PortalAs Disability Services transitions to a new online system called the DS Portalpaper forms will not be used. Students must have a face-to-face appointment with a DS counselor to set up DS Portal access.

Check-In Appointments: Returning students who have not met with a DS counselor to set up Portal access must schedule an in-person Check-In appointment in order to continue their accommodations. 

Accommodation Letters: In the online system, returning students who have set up Portal access will use the DS Student Portal to send their accommodation letters to their professors. Note that returning students must have at least one in-person Check-In appointment to set up access to the Portal before they can send their accommodation letters to their professors.

Once access to the Portal is set up, students should use the DS Student Portal each semester to send their accommodation letters to their professors, schedule tests and final exams with the DS Test Center, and request note takers or download class notes, if applicable. Even though many processes are now online, students are still responsible for meeting with their instructors to discuss their accommodations. For 100% online classes, students should follow up with their instructors by email.

Testing Accommodations (if applicable): Students who qualify for testing accommodations use the online system, DS Student Portal, to schedule their tests and final exams. Students are responsible for scheduling their tests. Your professors will be notified by the DS Portal when you submit your test or final exam requests. Professors must approve the test request before the student can test in DS.

Concerns or Changes: If your needs change or you have concerns related to your accommodations, notify your DS counselor as soon as possible. If the situation is complex, schedule an "Advisement" appointment to get further assistance.

Campus Resources: Remember to utilize other campus supports! A list of campus resources is included in the Student Handbook that was emailed to you after your Registration appointment.