Student Grievance Procedure

If a disability-related conflict arises between students and faculty or staff members, students are encouraged to address their concerns directly with the individual with whom they are experiencing difficulty. Often, it is a matter of a misunderstanding or miscommunication that may be remedied though a discussion of the situation.

Students can consult with their DS counselor for help developing a plan to address issue in order to reach an effective resolution. If a student is unable to address the individual directly, is unsatisfied with the outcome, or feels that he/she is experiencing discrimination because of a disability, the student should bring those concerns to the attention of the Office of Disability Services Director.

The following is the UNC Charlotte process for addressing a complaint of discrimination on the basis of disability:

Student Complaints of Discrimination on the Basis of Disability

  1. If a student is not able to resolve an issue informally, he or she should bring a complaint of discrimination on the basis of disability to the attention of a counselor in the Office of Disability Services. If the issue remains unresolved, the student should bring it to the attention of the Director of Disability Services. The Director of Disability Services will consult with the ADA Compliance Officer and with other appropriate individuals as part of the resolution process.
  2. Should the complaint not be resolved through the Office of Disability Services to the satisfaction of the student, he/she may file a formal grievance through the Office of the Dean of Students.

For the full details of the procedure, visit University Policy 411: Student Grievance Procedure